I went to my first Body Pump TM class on Thursday, and although I am a strong, active 30-something year old, warmed up/ cooled down properly, and was sensible about what weights I used, I am still feeling it!
A quick Google search comes up with 5 top tips to aid muscle repair:
- Warm up and cool down properly
- Hydrate (water is found in highest concentrations in active tissue like muscle. Water helps transport waste out of the body, and helps lubricate our joints too!)
- Rest (as well as having a rest day which is an important part of our training programs, sleep is vital as this is when the body repairs itself. You probably know that muscles grow because when we work them, they get microscopic tears. Our amazing bodies fix these tears while you sleep.)
- Stretch -yoga, swimming, a soak in a warm bath with Epsom salts and lavender essential oil
- Refuel- yes you need protein to repair muscles, but did you realise carbs are important to? It seems obvious: carbohydrates are the body’s energy store. However we are under pressure today to “cut the carbs”, go for the “skinny” option, etc. Research shows that some specific foods may be beneficial: blueberries, cherries, pomegranates, acai, cranberries and ginger have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Well for me I’m struggling to get 8 hours of sleep per night so I think that has something to do with the reason my arms still feel sore and heavy 3 days later. I’m going to make a nice antioxidant smoothie, and maybe I’ll go for a swim later!